Saturday, November 3, 2007

Welcome

I chose the name “Management Zen” because I plan to use this as a place to record my thoughts and meditations on the art and science – and sometimes plain dumb luck – of management. Zen is a school of Buddhism that teaches self enlightenment through meditation and self contemplation. One definition says that Zen “…is characterized by humility, labor, service, prayer and gratitude; it disdains the pursuit of worldly accomplishments and acknowledges that life’s pain and suffering often comes from material preoccupation and desires.” Humility. Service. Gratitude. Aren’t those some of the marks of great leaders?

Work completely consumes many of us. Email, cell phones, Blackberries – we’re never out of touch and seldom have the chance to quiet our minds or take a break from the stresses of day to day life. It isn’t that we are preoccupied with material things. It’s that life demands we be on stage 24/7. When we do get a break from work, we have kids, school, family, church, community… what little time we have is quickly consumed by other duties and interests.

So this is my escape. My therapy, if you prefer. I am a voracious reader, mostly on issues of business trends and leadership. Over the past few years, I’ve become fascinated with the Toyota Lean Production System and its application to business functions other than production. I welcome your thoughts and arguments on any of the topics here.

No comments: