Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Goal in Jeopardy

One of my resolutions was to complete a 5 K race, the Gasparilla Classic. Not that I would burn up the field, but I just planned to complete it without embarrassing my self. Now that seems to be a goal at risk.

I've developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot. Plantar fasciitis is where the ligament that connects your heel bone to your toes gets strained or irritated. It is painful beyond belief. In the morning, it feels like a knife has been stuck into my foot. The pain shoots from my heel up into my thigh at times.

I've tried some exercise therapy to help it heal, but I think I have to admit that it isn't working. Today, was was only able to trot out one mile before it became too sore to run on. I guess I'm going to have to seek some professional help and see what can be done to get it to heal.

It's about 3 weeks to race time, and I doubt it will heal in that time. If it even eases up a bit, I might try to "woggle" the race - sort of a cross between a walk and jog. But if it hasn't improved, I probably will pass on the Gasparilla.

Which brings me back to goals and resolutions. Sometimes you have to adjust your goals when circumstances change. A football coach might go into a game with a certain game plan, but if the plan isn't producing scores, he needs to adjust the plan. In my case, I might not make the Gasparilla, but there are other 5 K races throughout the year, and I'll make another one.

No comments: