Sunday, January 27, 2008

Looking ahead for this blog

I've been swamped at work. Two acquisitions have me run off my feet trying to get all the i's dotted and the t's crossed. So sorry posting hasn't been up to snuff. As you can probably tell, I'm still trying to find my focus with this blog. But I think I have it.. By George, I think he's got it!

A while ago I made a comment about sports analogies in business. Sports are big business, and both fit the spirit of competition that makes people push to be successful. The imagery sports metaphors invoke are familiar to us. If we're in trouble, we're up against the ropes, or we've got two strikes against us. We might throw in the towel, or come out swinging. The project leader is quarterbacking the effort, and need I say anything about the imagery of teams in business?

Sports metaphors also make a sexist statement. Don't rag on me about how many women are football fans, or the success of women's sports. If you say anything about women's hockey or the WNBA, I shall ridicule you publicly. Sports metaphors say "I am a man, and I'm only speaking to the men in the room." That's why they are so much a part of business-speak.

But there are many applicable analogies in sports to business. So if the women will forgive me, I'm going to take one sport and use the lessons I have learned from it to apply to leadership and teamwork issues. The sport is less sexist than baseball or basketball, and more international than American football. It's mountain climbing.

I could pause while you laugh, but fugeddaboud it. I am not a mountain climber. Never have been and never will. A little hiking maybe, but definitely not one of those who feels the need to hang by his fingernails off a sheer rock face 10,000 feet in the air. I like solid ground, and room service at midnight. But years ago I did have a chance to assist in some logistics and fundraising efforts for an Everest expedition. Never left Canada, and had a very minor role. But like the batboy who feels the pride of winning a World Series, I was thrilled to be part of a venture that saw the elation of a successful summit and the grief of lost lives.

So here's what I'm going to do. Every weekend, probably later Sunday, I'll post a lesson on something I've learned about leadership, management and team building from my personal experience and from my readings. Lately, I've picked up a couple books about other Everest climbs, and climbs of other mountains. And every Monday you can find perhaps some little piece of learning that will help you in your business life. Maybe even your personal life. Feel free to leave a comment.

I'll reserve the right to throw up the odd post between weekends as the spirit moves. But I'm going to hold myself to the weekend post.

No comments: